If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
From Staff Reports
The two victims of a house fire early Thursday morning in the Neely Community have been identified as Johnny and Teresa Nelson, of Gautier.
Greene County Coroner Ladd Pulliam confirmed the identities just before 4 p.m. Friday.
Teresa Nelson, 65, was pronounced dead at the scene of the fire, which occurred at 1224 Neely-Avera Road just after midnight Thursday morning. Her husband had been flown from the scene by air ambulance to USA Medical Center in Mobile with major burns over most of his body. He succumb to those injuries Thursday afternoon, according to Pulliam.
The Neely Volunteer Fire Department was the first to respond and found the mobile home fully involved in fire. No official reports have been released, but Johnny Nelson, 66, was reportedly able to get out of the structure, but was unable to wake his wife, who died inside the home. Despite having severe burns himself, the Nelson was able to make his way to a nearby neighbor’s home to seek help.
The fire has been initially ruled as accidental and is believed to have started at an electrical outlet. The investigation into the blaze is ongoing.
The Nelsons used the mobile home as a getaway and hunting camp.